Friday, March 26, 2010

I find it unbelievable, but a year ago today. Fraser and I had our first gig together in the Jet Lounge:

It was a pretty mediocre, but it marked my return to the stage after 8 years away from it. So I thought I’d bum myself up a little and look at what I’ve achieved in the past year.

  • I’ve played 27 gigs in 8 venues across 2 countries(26 of them were in the Netherlands)
  • I host 2 regular events; one weekly, one monthly
  • I perform regularly as twiddley electric guitarist, an acoustic rhythm player, and a reluctant vocalist
  • I’ve bothered my arse enough to get a website
  • I have moved my repertoire beyond covers of 90’s grunge bands.
  • I have written at least 2 songs with Sandra.
  • I’ve engineered, recorded and mixed several songs to a pretty decent level.

This past year has given me the confidence to call myself a musician again, and not just play to my bedroom walls with little ambition or direction. The difference this makes to my life cannot be underestimated and I question why I’ve waited this long to get back into it.

So. What next?

I’ve got to the stage that my week is so filled with music things that I have to manage my time quite cleverly. The open mike nights and jam sessions keep me active, but they also give me a great excuse not to be creative. This and the lack of a consistent band means that songwriting continues to elude me. It is still the one thing that I want to do which I can’t seem to achieve. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Directory Blog Directory Blog Directory Blog Directory Blog Directory Blog Directory